Friday, March 03, 2006

A Funeral and A Birth All in One Day

A week ago today at 7:33 God gave us a "beautiful addition" to our family. I could barely cut the cord that attached Adah to Julie as my eyes were swollen from the crying that I had been doing. The crying was because of the complete and utter joy that had filled my heart.

What made this day even more unique a week ago is that I cried around 12:30 p.m. out of profound loss on my way home from a funeral. I presided over Doris' funeral at 11:00. My friend Paul lost his mom the previous Saturday and he gave me the privilege to lead the service to remember and celebrate the life of his mom.

That day I celebrated two lives. I celebrated two lives on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Doris' death brought me to tears as I was driving home up I-25. I held it together through the service and even the message. I spoke out of John 14:1-6. But as I was driving home I just started weeping. Thoughts of losing my mom and dad in the future were overwhelming. I was grateful to hug the family as I walked by Doris one final time. I don't like to hug, but that afternoon I hugged a lot of people and I needed it as much as they did. More tears were flowing as I was grateful that I answered God's call on my life to serve Him in the church. My call has blessed me to be there in a special way to serve my friends and words cannot express the joy. No amount of money can replace that drive down to Castle Rock that day or the drive home. There were a hundred more thoughts flying through my head as I pulled up to the house to go check on Julie and see if she was in labor.

She was and at 7:33 Adah's life brought me to tears too.

It is right now.

God allowed me to do something on Friday, February 24th that I am sure not many pastors in the last 50 years have done - presided over a funeral in the morning and then watched their wife deliver a beautiful baby girl all in the span of 9 hours.

So why did this happen?

I don't fully know all of the implications, but here's one thought. As we head into the season of preparing our hearts for the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ I am reminded of these words which many people read over this week if they took part on Ash Wednesday,

"Remember that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return."

Life is fragile. Life is a gift. Life is a fragile gift from God, so don't waste your life. You and I will return to where we started. And when I return, if I'm the first one, I want their to be streaming tears of profound joy in the eyes of Julie, Noah, Josiah and Adah as they have hope that I am with our Saving Lord in the place He went to prepare for us. And we will meet again one day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dan, i had those same thoughts on the birthday of the twins, they were born around noon, and my grandmother died late that same evening. Quite an intense day, most of which I still don't fully get. thanks for blogging

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey Jesse. Thanks for sharing part of your journey and letting me know you've walked the road.

Hope the twins and you and your wife are doing great!