Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Millennials Are Coming

Michael over at Extra Mile Management, and a good friend of mine, pointed me to this video over at CBS, The Millennials Are Coming. This video is worth 13 minutes of your day. Here are some things that stood out to me:

1. They need coaching instead of bossing.
2. They grew up with Mr. Rodgers telling them they're special, but never defined for what.
3. They suffer from a coddling virus. This one slayed me. At the end of the video, watch what the two Millennials want their bosses to do if they do a good job. I almost fell out of my chair.
4. They will choose their friends and lifestyle over their job any day. The Millennials they interviewed were very insightful here as they talk about watching their parents.
5. How is our economy going to continue to be stable or even get stronger if we are putting Millennials in jobs where they want to just have fun?
6. I laughed out loud when they talked about how to talk to this generation like a therapist.
7. Mary Crane is very insightful in this piece. I laughed out loud when she was talking to them about their tattoos.
8. They are growing up with no expectation to work hard.
9. Who couldn't be happy growing up in a world where there is no failure?

As I watch this video I am asking myself, "What is the church supposed to do with these 80 million people born between 1980 and 1995?" These next 20 years are going to be a ride!

2 comments:

Jon the legal immigrant said...

Every time I read or hear about this I feel my value as a worker/employee increase.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.