Monday, April 25, 2011

The Biggest Hindrance to Prayer

I wish someone would have talked to me “straight up” about the hindrances I was going to experience to practicing prayer as the foundation for my ministry. I can remember people hinting that the “busyness” of ministry would get in the way of my prayer time. I needed to watch my calendar. I needed to schedule it. I needed to not schedule it at 11:00 p.m. at night or I wouldn’t be awake through my prayer time. There were several other thoughts here and there that well meaning people tried to point out.

But no one and I mean no one, pointed out what I believe the biggest hindrance to be…ME.


I wish someone would have had the guts to look me in the eye and say, “You can’t be alone, can you?” I wish someone who knew me the best would have challenged me to quit hiding behind the fact that I am an extrovert. I wish someone would have called my bluff when I told them that because I was an extrovert I always talked to God. I wish someone would have asked me, “When was the last time you were quiet and alone with God?” I wish I would have been told that one of my greatest strengths in ministry was one of my greatest hindrances to being with the One my ministry was for.

0 comments: