Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hope...not hype

While I was in San Antonio, Fritz passed a copy of this short article by John Ortberg around the room on hope management and it resonated in my soul.

"Optimism believes in progress; that circumstances will get better. Hope, however, is is built on the conviction that another reality, another Kingdom, already exists. And so hope endures when hype fades."

When we're done hyping our programs to get students to attend, what endures? When the hype of being the new guy in town fades, what endures? When we're done building our kingdom on our abilities, what endures? I want to be a student ministry that is full of hope. I must be full of hope...NOT hype.

1 comments:

Crystal said...

A very thought-provoking article, Dan. Do you mind if I mention it in my blog (with link to your comments)?