Thursday, October 09, 2008

Open their eyes

"Open my eyes so that I may see wonderful things in your law." - Psalm 119:18 I have been praying this verse every Sunday morning for the last five years for our students before we gather on Sunday mornings. Earlier this week, my good friend Seth Hanson, sent me Dietrich Bonhoeffer's reflection on this verse,

"The one whose eyes have been opened by God looks into a world of wonders. That which previously looked dead to me is full of life, that which was filled with contradictions is resolved in a higher unity, the severe demand becomes a gracious commandment. In the midst of human words I hear God's eternal word, in past history I recognize God who is present and his saving work in me. The tender words of encouragement become a new claim of God upon my life, the unbearable burden becomes the easy yoke (Mt. 11:30), The great miracle in the law of God is the revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ. Through him the word comes to life, the contradictions are resolved, the obvious receives an unfathomable depth. O Lord, open my eyes."

Lets be committed to praying this simple prayer before we teach the Word of God, while we teach the Word of God and after we've taught the Word of God to our students. Lets never forget that we aren't the ones to open their eyes.

0 comments: