Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Catch them doing something right...the skies the limit

I learned early on in youth ministry to catch students doing something right and tell them about it! Too often we're telling them to be quiet, sit down, pay attention, confronting sin, etc... This isn't bad, but if it's all we're doing in ministry the life is going to get sucked right out of us and the students we are serving!

Catch students doing something right this week...especially those that you view as a problem. They aren't a problem, they are an opportunity to bless!

I have been thinking about this as it relates to my boys...at 3 and 5 I can find plenty to correct, but I am now looking for more ways to bless! And the way I see it, the skies the limit with them and out students in our ministries! It's so fun to see their faces light up when I stop, get down on their level, look them eye 2 eye and say, "Way to go!"

5 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

Amen!

Dan Luebcke said...

Alice, thanks for modeling this for me in the context of our ministry! Have you found this to be true in Poland?

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea...Should we not apply this same thought to adults as well? God bless

Dan Luebcke said...

KJV, good reminder!

Trevor said...

Right on! Encouragement goes a lot further than pointing out what someone does wrong all the time.