Thursday, November 16, 2006

A youth ministry is grieving

A local youth ministry was without their youth pastor last night. They met and they were grieving a horrific truth - their youth pastor was having sex with a student. A buddy of mine from Denver Seminary served alongside this high school pastor and I have yet to contact him. I couldn't sleep this morning and turned on the news to help me get back to sleep at 5:30 a.m.

This was the first story.

My heart is grieving. I'm going home and hugging my wife. Hugging my kids. I'm going to ruthlessly inspect my policies that I have given to my leaders about contacting the opposite sex. I'm getting on my knees for this community and praying for healing. I'm going to check my heart and see if there is any offensive way in me. I don't want to be the lead story at 5:30 a.m.

I don't want to wake up in prison.

5 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

I am with you in the grief! I am angry too, that someone in his position would do such a thing. Then I think of all of the times I could have been tempted. . . Dear God! draw us closer to YOU!

It is hard enough the for this generation to trust the church. We just gave them another reason not to. What are we doing????????????

Thank you for your honesty and desire to live a life that honors God, your wife, your kids and the youth! You are a GREAT example to other youth pastors in this area! Thank you!
Alice

Kristen said...

Thank you for all you have done to avoid anything like this in your ministry over the years. You have maintained integrity and honesty, and have always chosen to take the high road, with yourself, and with each person involved in your ministry. I am honored to have worked with you and learned from you and had the privilege to work alongside such integrity.

Thank you for what you have given to Christ, to your family, and to your ministry!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder. I was working on sexual abuse and integrity policies for volunteer staff this morning and wondering if I really needed to include all that "stuff." Thank you for being a long distance model of integrity and honesty.

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey Jesse...let me know if you want to see what we've done...I'll email it to you!

Anonymous said...

that would be great. thanks