Saturday, December 23, 2006

3 minutes of silence

A couple of weeks ago I took part in the annual retreat with our denomination for our Rocky Mountain District with 11 youth pastors from our region. There were several highlights but there was one big low light that I have been thinking since I got home.

During the retreat we were given 3 minutes to be silent and I couldn't do it.

It felt like an eternity. I couldn't remember the last time I sat in silence. I hate silence. I actually started to sweat. The whole time I was thinking, "When is this going to end?" I wasn't finding God during that time. The only thing I found is that I hate silence. I hate being alone. I found myself talking almost in a whisper so I could hear myself.

2007 is going to be the year where I begin to develop this discipline. I am reminded of the model Jesus set for me in Mark 1,

"35Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."

I am also haunted by what Henri Nouwen said, "Somewhere we know that without silence words lose their meaning, that without listening speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure."

3 comments:

Trevor said...

This is so difficult for our culture! We have done this on Sunday nights a number of times (usually only for a minute) and I find myself wondering if people are bored rather than engaging God in the silence!

Dan Luebcke said...

Have you gotten feedback?

Seth Hanson said...

Luebcke, 2007 is going to be the year of Blogging for Seth. Anyway, let's work on this together. I need to get better at this. I have a goal to read through the OT this year...i need to focus on spending time regularly.