Monday, December 18, 2006

Cell phone distractions

It was brought to my attention that the use of cell phones by our students during my messages on Sunday morning are becoming a distraction. I'll be making my first announcement about it on Christmas Eve Sunday as we study Isaiah 9. There's a first time for everything!

What's funny about this is that I haven't noticed it. Sure, I'll see a couple of students using their phones, but it's pretty quick and I don't think it's a distraction. I am excited to address this with our students on Sunday. If you get a text at 9:45 a.m. from your friend who just got up, you can wait until 10:10 to let them know that you were up WAY BEFORE THEM! I also think it will be good for our students to start a discipline of not always having to multitask in every setting.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I wish you luck on this. I'm often astounded by how cell phones seem to "rule" these students. So many of them don't even consider that waiting to answer a text is an option. There is such a sense of urgency regarding their texts.

Dan Luebcke said...

Dave, I'll need you there to lay it down brother!