Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Building Bridges to Your Senior Pastor - 1

Historically, one of the top reasons student ministry pastors leave churches is due to the fact that they are unable to relate to their senior pastor. Not wanting this to be a reason for me to leave my church (hey, I've been here since 1996 with the same senior pastor) I decided to be proactive in my communication with him. For example, every message I teach on a Sunday morning to our high school students, he sees a short outline of my message. I put a copy in his box so he can take a quick glance at it before he files it in the trash (the best filing cabinet in his office).

The brief amount of time that he takes to look over what I'm teaching helps to build trust and potentially opens the door for him to speak into what I am presenting. Plus, if a parent speaks to him it keeps him in the "know" with at least a general idea of what is being taught in the high school ministry.

0 comments: