Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Serious disciples in small groups?

"Small groups are things that trick us into believing we’re serious about making disciples. The problem is 90% of small groups never produce one single disciple, ever. They help Christians make shallow friendships for sure. They’re great at helping Christians feel a tenuous connection to their local church. And they do a bang-up job of teaching Christians how to act like other Christians in the evangelical Christian subculture. But when it comes to creating the kind of holistic disciples Jesus envisioned, the jury’s decision came back a long time ago – small groups just aren't working.”

I read this today in this post and it got me thinking...are you?

I am so grateful to have a team of small group leaders in my ministry that are serious about making disciples in their small groups.

2 comments:

ypjim said...

It seems to me that the problem is not the form of small groups - but the function of them. Jesus had a small group didn't he? Then again, he didn't do a bang up job of "making disciples" in a small group. At some point the disciples themselves had to decide if they really wanted to be diciples.

Dan Luebcke said...

AMEN BRO! Love your thoughts here. Thanks for sharing them. I think the thing I want to continually challenge myself with is the function of them. How do they function as the church gathered and the church dispersed?