Monday, June 23, 2008

VBS

It's VBS at our church this week and I am so excited to be involved! Historically, today is the day we would be leaving to go to Poland, but we aren't going to Poland this summer. I am pumped to have LOTS of our high school and middle school students serving in our church this week! We've canceled our normal mid week meeting to focus our attention on serving here! It's going to be an awesome week. What's more, I am excited to see our students serving Christ in their own church community. I am praying that God grabs their heart for greater service in our community in the up and coming year. I am pumped to be the 6th grade guide!

2 comments:

ypjim said...

That seems like a beautiful picture of the way things ought to be. I was never able to get a large number of youth invloved with VBS so I am envious. Is your VBS in the evening or during the day?

What kind of an impact do you think this has on the students in your group? I have always wondered if the admiration (sometimes adoration) younger children have on older children makes any difference on youth. If so, should the youth have a more consistent presence with the children? I have also wondered if we should cancel our Sunday morning youth programming to have the youth go serve / build relationship and mentor these younger children. I have wondered if this would help students think more deeply about thier life than another sunday school lesson. Just a thought.

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey bro,

Our VBS is during the day. I am not sure of the impact, but I will follow up on that. Thanks for the prompt.

As to your thought...hmmm, very thought provoking...I have several students who serve in children's ministry on Sunday morning, but it's typically during the second hour which means they attend our high school gathering and miss church. Typically this is done on a rotation basis so it isn't every week.

I will be giving this more thought...I DO think must continue to give our students chances to witness to others about the radical change Jesus has made in their lives as Saving Lord.

Great thoughts bro...I'll get back to you on further thoughts.