Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Changing American Family

The American Family is changing, according to Cris Beam, a writer from New York, who published this article in Baby Magazine in May of 2005.

The Leave it to Beaver family of the 50's and 60's is nowhere on the radar screen in mainstream America! It's divorce, single parent homes, gay marriage, two parents working...you name it!

I couldn't help but think about how the church is doing reaching families that look like the ones in this article! Is the church changing to reach the changing family? How much should we change? What are our distinctives? What will the family look like when my kids are 40? What will the church look like when my kids are 40?

I don't know how accurate all the stats are in this article, but we can't deny that the world is changing. and we must be thinking about how we can reach families with the transforming message of love that Jesus embodied and died for!

The whole time I read this article I was reminded of a quote from Erwin McManus in his book Unstoppable Force on pg. 74, "My goal is not to keep up with the changing world, but to be standing there waiting for it when it arrives. People are going to need someone to show them they way." I want to be standing there in three months, five years, 10 years...

1 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

You need to talk to Steve Tonkin about his view of the family in America and in the Chruch! Very interesting!