Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A week of pitching my tent

One of the things I love about Spring Break as it relates to our student ministry is that I can pack my week full of connecting times with students. I called up one of our fellas to hang this week at Starbucks and he said, "I'm pretty much not doing one thing this whole week, I'm open!" YES! We're meeting on Thursday morning! I've got a 12:00 p.m. baseball game on Thursday and a bunch of students I am waiting to hear back from.

We must never forget to practice incarnational ministry with your students. Jesus modeled it for us in John 1:14 when he "dwelt among us." He spent the better part of a year and a half of his ministry connecting with people. I love how one of my long time mentors Michael put it for me some time ago:

It does NOT say:

The Word stayed in Heaven and felt sorry for us!
The Word became information as was assimilated by us!
The Word became computerized and interfaced with us!
The Word became FLESH and taught courses among us!
The Word became FLESH and emailed all of us!
The Word became FLESH and scolded us for that whole “garden scandal."
The Word became FLESH and lead seminars w/great food and a great band among us!

Jesus literally "pitched His tent" on our turf! What a model of connecting.

0 comments: