Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Dad, the birds are singing!

Yesterday morning as I was helping the family out the door to school and Community Bible Study, Josiah ran in from going outside screaming, "Dad, the birds are singing! Dad the birds are singing!" He was smiling from ear to ear. He was screaming he was so excited. He ran back out and stood in the driveway looking around the sky and listening.

As I sat there loading the car I was deeply moved by my son's sense of WONDER! I was deeply convicted that in the busyness of my life that morning, I didn't even notice that the birds were singing. God took care of them last night and this morning they rose singing a new song. I went out and knelt down next to him in the driveway and while I was giving him a big hug whispered into his ear, "Thanks Josiah, if you had not come inside I would have missed this!"

I needed to start my day with wonder. I watched and listened to the birds sing. G.K. Chesterton said it so well, "The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder."

1 comments:

Pat R said...

I'm glad to hear you are sensitive to your children. I pray that you will continue to allow them to teach you about what's important.