Monday, October 24, 2005

Why We Are Waiting...



...to find out the gender of our third child!

We are in our 22nd week of pregnancy and I am constantly getting bombarded with the question, "What are you having?"

My first response, "A human!"

What they are wanting to know is what did the ultrasound at 20 weeks reveal...a boy, or a girl?

Here's why we are waiting. We don't want some nurse, who could care less about us, telling us the gender of our child. We are just one of a 10 couples that day who are seeing their little ankle-biter. How anti-climatic is this? We wait twenty weeks to hear a woman say, "Well, Dan, it looks like you put the stem on the apple!" NO thanks! Or, "Looks like your boys are going to have a little sister to protect!" NO WAY!

Instead, we want to wait twenty more weeks to find out the child's gender. The anticipation of the night...the day...leaving work...who knows how it will start. Going through the birth experience with my wife and then...the moment of truth! I get to look into the eyes of my bride and tell her, "It's another little boy", or "It's our little princess!"

There's no way we want some nurse telling us that news while I am rushing from work to make the appointment and Julie is running late from dropping the boys off at Nana's!

No, we are waiting...and I can't wait for the end of February when I get to look into her eyes and be the first person to tell her what God has blessed us with!

2 comments:

Trevor said...

Whenever we have our next kid I will try to do an equally moving rebuttle called "Why I like instant gratification and am finding out the gender of my child at 20 weeks from the nurse who doesn't care about me." Stay tuned for that nail biter!

Dan Luebcke said...

Trevor, good luck trying to make that blog a nail biter...and I can almost hear it now!

"They squirted that gel on my wife's belly. Put that thingy on her stomach. Moved it around. We saw the the little one. The nurse, without any change of emotion in her voice said 'A boy!'
"

Wow...now that's exciting! I would love to live with that for 20 weeks!