Friday, September 01, 2006

The right numbers in youth ministry

I am still reading through The Big Moo as I get chances before I go to bed. I really enjoyed last nights reading on what I can expect to be the safest bet available to me in my ministry… CHANGE! Here’s how it appears in the chapter, “There are two kinds of organizations. One kind likes to be on the cutting edge, to do what hasn’t been done before, to embrace the new. The other kind fears that, and holds back to allow someone else to go first. Betting on change is always the safest bet available.”

The interesting thing about this is that our mission has been the same for over 2,000 years! We are to make disciples! It isn’t going to change! So, I am curious, in the context of the church, how is change the safest bet? What should change? How do you know if your church is embracing the new or holding back? In the context of youth ministry, I’ll suggest one change that I would like to see more youth pastors and youth workers embrace. I’d like youth pastors to quit talking about the number of students on their rosters and start talking about the number of students that are being discipled. I'd like to see us ruthlessly pursuing those God has blessed us with and make evangelism part of our discipleship!

2 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

Amen bother!!!!! Amen and Amen!

Dan Luebcke said...

Alice, thanks for chiming in! Thanks for being a part of our ministry to make disciples here at SGC! You've left a legacy for our other leaders to follow and I'm grateful for your investment!