Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Searching for awkward moments

I read this post by Seth Godin about a month ago and I’ve been thinking about it almost everyday – Awkward. He suggests it’s his new favorite word. I could be persuaded to make it mine as I’ve looked at my leadership through this lens. Here are two of his statements, "It's awkward to create a product that changes the status quo. It's awkward to demonstrate your amazing insights when it might threaten those that are looking for stability instead.”

There are so many things in this job that are awkward. Here are a couple of mine. It’s awkward to lead the professor of youth ministry at Denver Seminary who is a small group leader in our ministry. It’s awkward to meet with a parent and confront them about their obsession with their student being the best in school, sports and a NO SHOW at church. I could go on and so could you.

What I love about this post is the end, “The reason we need to be in search of awkward is that awkward is the barrier between us and excellence, between where we are and the remarkable. If it were easy, everyone would have done it already, and it wouldn't be worth the effort.”

Searching for awkward moments with humility is what I want this fall. I am ready for more awkward moments.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks for your words. I know I tend to put off those awkward moments, and then finally realize that to be the person I need to be, I have to face them. It is humble and character-building as well. Keep up the awkward moments - that is one of the big things I admire about you!

Trevor said...

I think this can be true sometimes, but awkward is also a barrier to relationships. If you are really awkward around other people you have a difficult time developing relationships. No one wants to follow the awkward person. So I guess this word can be used in some positive and negative ways. Kind of seems like an awkward choice of words to use for the point he wanted to get across.

Dan Luebcke said...

I agree with what you are saying Kristen, I tend to put them off to that's why I love the encouragement hear to embrace the moments.

Dan Luebcke said...

Trevor, interesting take...you are looking at it more in relationship whereas Seth was talking about situations that are awkward.

I am guessing if your awkward in an awkward situation your really hosed.