Monday, April 21, 2008

4 Bear Creek Girls

So today I headed out of the office to work at Panera, which I never do on Mondays. As I was sitting down in my seat, at my normal spot, 4 Bear Creek High School girls sat down at the table with me. I had a great time interacting with them! After they walked away I realized that I just got a short overview of what's going on in the lives of some of the students in our community. Here's what's going on in our context!

and For kicks and grins...here's what we covered in about 25 minutes: the video of the cheerleaders beating up another cheerleader, why are girls so mean, how they (being cheerleaders) are better than poms, how I married a girl from Bear Creek, how my wife and I fell in love, our up and coming series at the church (Urge 2 Merge), whether or not any of them had been to church (one had never, three used to attend but don't now), being real when talking to people, they sent a text to a student in our church that they knew (that was awesome), how excited they were to graduate and yet scared of the future, where they each were going to college (ASU, Metro, CSUCSU Pueblo), we talked about the names of my kids (one girl said the name Josiah kicks A$%), they asked me about what I will do when my daughter starts dating, they wanted to know what I would think if it was another girl, we talked about senior ditch day, we talked about partying and running from the cops, we talked about Taco Bell being the bomb, they told me I should see Juno and that it rocked, each of them has a job and pays for all their own stuff, we talked about the racial diversity at Bear Creek High School, whites are the minority in their opinion, they couldn't believe I was a pastor (I still can't believe it), we talked about how fake religious people are, I shared with them that I think it's about a relationship with Christ and not being religious before they left.

Then, after they left a grandma came up to me and said, "You must be a comedian...my husband and I were watching you make them laugh for 25 minutes."

I am so glad I left the office. I love planting and watering when you least expect it.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so glad you talked to these girls! You are the least "fake" person I know.... you planted a seed for sure. Way to go!

Kristen said...

dude - I miss working with you so much! Love hearing those opportunities God brings into your life. He has truly gifted you in amazing ways. Thanks for being who you are!

Dan Luebcke said...

What is up Jones? Thanks for checking in! Can't believe you've been married for a year!!!!

Dan Luebcke said...

KRISTEN! It was awesome...just one of those unplanned moments...25 minutes of their high school career...to plant some seeds...and maybe water some that were planted when they used to go to church. We miss you up here but are so glad you're able to serve the students in your town! Thanks for being who you ARE!

Pastor Mark said...

That'd be the kind of day that would make my week. I love talking to students that I don't normally get to interact with.

Dan Luebcke said...

What is up Mark? Yep, made my week! Have a great weekend bro. Hope things are well for you!