Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Princeton - Student participators

Kenda Creasy Dean spent some time talking about Henry Jenkins observation that adolescents are no longer just consumers of culture but participators in it. One of the ways this truth is going to impact my student ministry when I come home is that Sunday mornings are going to change. As I have been thinking about it today, I've realized that students show up and consume what I want them to and don't have any way of participating in what I am talking about. I speak for 40 minutes straight. They sit and listen...that's it. I am excited for our students to start participating in their learning. If I have 40 minutes I am no longer going to be speaking for 40 minutes straight! I am going to mix in dialogue, different forms of prayer, stories, video, audio, etc... I am excited to grow in this area of my shepherding of our students.

0 comments: