Friday, January 05, 2007

Choosing to Lose in Student Ministry

I am captured in this new year with a deeper sense of calling our students to choose to lose!

Luke 17:33

Jesus reminds us in this verse that real life is chosen when you choose to lose it for Him. I am reminded of a great quote from Kenda Creasy Dean, Practicing Passion, that I will never forget,

"If commitment to Jesus Christ is not, ultimately, a life and death investment, then young people will invest their God-given passion elsewhere."

2 comments:

Dave said...

When I read posts like this, I always remember what you told me about High School Ministry: that we're just planting seeds.

I often wonder if the students fully understand what we mean when we say things like "lose your life for him." But we can hope, at least, that it sticks with them and that someday they will understand and embrace this idea.

Dan Luebcke said...

Daveo,

You make a great statement that reminds me that I am still learning what it means to lose my life for him.

Here's to being part of that process in the lives of students in our midst!