Saturday, September 29, 2007

20 ppt slides...then sit down

This article, from Wired, is a must read if you ever have to get up in front of a group and give a presentation! I have never heard of the pecha-kucha (Japanese for "chatter") method, but I am going to implement this next time I have to give a presentation.

You create 20 slides which show for 20 seconds. Then sit down! This is a great method for short presentations.

For me this method is going to prove to be very beneficial when we do Discovery, our Welcome to Southern Gables lunch. Each pastor and director gets up in front of the new people in our spiritual community and gets to paint a picture of who they are and what they do in the church. We only get 5 minutes so that will translate to 15 slides.

In the article there's a really good video example by Daniel Pink that will give you a feel for what it looks like.

I wonder how this could transform Sunday mornings in student ministries? Do we start viewing our messages in 6 minutes and 40 second intervals? Hmmm...?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for passing this on--I do a lot of presentations at school and I'm going to try this format soon!

Dan Luebcke said...

Great to hear from you. Please pass on how it goes! Say "HEY" to your hubby!