Thursday, September 06, 2007

Chief Sinner

In Leading With A Limp, Allender suggests that it's failing that matters when it comes to being a leader. Leadership begins with the leader saying to all those around, "I am the Chief sinner among you!" Yeah...I didn't learn this in my MDiv program.

He has pretty good company. Check out Paul's words to Timothy in 1 Timothy 1:15-17,

"15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. 17Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

If Paul was there, how come so many of us aren't? How would being the chief sinner in your student ministry change the culture of your small group or the entire group?
When was the last time your students saw you sin?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Just read through that passage with one of my youth group leaders this morning at breakfast. Not only is it important to live honest lives as leaders, fully aware of our own imperfection, but I think being honest about our own sin gives us a greater awareness of God's grace in our lives and the need to share it with students.