Thursday, December 15, 2005

Church on Christmas Sunday

An article ran over a week ago about churches cancelling their church services on Christmas Sunday on CNN and I am sure on other news pages - "Some megachurches closing on Christmas".

I have just joined the discussion.

Our church is having one service on Sunday later in the morning at 10:30.

I came across a blog from Andy Stanley and his take on cancelling church, Sunday, December 25th. I love his bottom line!

...somehow I lost the link, but it went something like this...bascially there are a lot of people outside this church that think I am a bad pastor, but there are hundreds of people that think I am a great boss!

2 comments:

charlesdean2 said...

I couldn't find andy's take...but as a "megachurch" pastor, I know that from out perspective, 6 "Christmas Eve" Services where close to 10,000 people will attend and hundreds of volunteers will be engaged seems to be enough. How come the "tolerant" emergent crowd seems to be the most critical?

Trevor said...

I didn't get to Andy's take either (the link goes to some basher blog), but I agree that I think it's crazy we make such a big deal out of this. Is time spent with family on Christmas day succumbing to a culture of materialism? And most churches do have Christmas Eve services, so while I don't think churches need to cancel on Christmas Day, I don't really understand why people go off on this so much. I guess critics are right about some emergent thinkers (or complainers), they are just looking for things to criticize. (By the way, there are lots of great emergent thinkers out there too who aren't just looking for things to bash.)