Saturday, December 10, 2005

Where is God in Narnia?

I have been eagerly anticipating what the paper will say about this movie, particularly what it will say about the theology found in this movie.

As I sat and watched the movie I spent a lot of the time looking for God in Narnia, and I found HIM...a lot!

As I have been reflecting on what I saw over this past week I was wondering how obvious the theology of the movie would be to those who know very little about Christ, or the Bible.

In today's Rocky Mountain News an article was written that gave me some insight into what I believe the general public will find on the surface when they watch the movie for their first time!

Here's the article and a quote, "Narnia, of course, can be viewed as a Christian allegory. The noble Aslan is a Christlike figure who restores life to the dead and who dies in a great act of sacrifice that leads to his resurrection as the redeemer of Narnia. But those familiar with Lewis' tale know that his idiosyncratic approach hardly qualifies as doctrinally pure. Lewis incorporated elements of mythology and whimsy into his story. Although the residents of Narnia refer to the Pevensie children as sons of Adam and daughters of Eve, biblical references hardly abound. Lewis set an eclectic table."

That's the genius of Lewis. The writer saw the imagination of Lewis, but got the most important piece of theology in the movie! This author got the greatest message out of the movie, which is the greatest message of THE BOOK sitting on my table that has 66 books full of God's redeeming love! Here's the quote again, "The noble Aslan is a Christlike figure who restores life to the dead and who dies in a great act of sacrifice that leads to his resurrection as the redeemer of Narnia."

I will admit that I did find several references to the Bible in this movie and it did make the movie extremely moving for me, but you don't have to go to seminary to find the central message of the Bible that finds its way into every major sporting event...

JOHN 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

0 comments: