Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Fine Art of Letting Go

The Fine Art of Letting Go which appeared in Newsweek this week and was written by Barbara Kantrowitz and Peg Tyre is a great read on how the parents of the boomer generation has wrestled with the fine art of letting their kids grow up into adults!

I fine this topic absolutely fascinating! I've seen several families over the years in our church walk this fine line with great success and others that have crashed and burned. Letting go of your kids is a fine art! No doubt about it. I can't imagine my young children driving, going to movies late at night, dating, and someday graduating! They need us so much right now, so I can see how hard it is for parents to let go!

A guy I think has done a good job with this is Jim Hancock in his book Raising Adults! I love his title and I think it's a good reminder for Julie and myself about what we are doing right now. We are raising our kids, we are raising adults!

3 comments:

Trevor said...

Josiah is an adult already. He told me to stop calling you names. I thought that was very adult of him.

Dan Luebcke said...

Thanks for your encouragement Trevor. Josiah whispered in my ear last night that you have some unresolved issues from childhood that he believes is preventing you from truly experiencing the intimate love that God offers. He wants you to know what it means to call God "Abba."

I'd say that is REALLY ADULT!

Trevor said...

I agree. Does he have any appointments open for counseling. I'll pay him in Shreck fruit snacks!