Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Is Learning More Important Than Teaching?

I came across an answer to this question on Jim Hancock's site here. His answer, "I believe learning is way more important than teaching." He then asks this question, “Do people learn better when we tell them what to believe and how to behave or when we skillfully engage them in their own learning?”

Great question! I've been wrestling with this throughout the spring as it relates to the teaching of the Word in our high school ministry. I truly believe we need to teach the word of God to our students, but I am wrestling with how to skillfully engage them in their own learning. One of the things God has been teaching me over and over the past two years is that if I am not engaging the text and praying over the text then I am probably not going to engage our students.

I want our Sundays and Wednesdays to be stimulating times for our students to engage the living God. I am learning how to skillfully engage them through PowerPoint, videos, images, sound bites, journals for each of our series, and Q & A. I am excited to grow more intentionally in this area over the next 6 months!

1 comments:

Trevor said...

I think the Hebrews had it right on this one, teaching and learning are different sides of the same coin. If learning isn't happening teaching isn't really happening.