Friday, May 19, 2006

The Starbuckization of the World


I read a great article yesterday in USA Today, "Starbucks aims beyond lattes to extend brand" by Bruce Horovitz. Starbucks is done making coffee their only focus. As many of you know they have been selling music in their stores. They formed Starbucks Entertainment and want to start selling books!!!!!! Starbucks wants to be the next McDonald's!

The Starbuckization of the World has officially begun. They want to reach into every demographic in the world!!!!!!!!!

Two things stand out to me on this glorious Friday in Colorado.

First, the Great Commission principle in business works! Of course businesses aren't really fulfilling the Great Commission, but the principle to go into all of the world and believe you can reach them is a vision worth following a CEO off the cliff for.

Second, I love the fact that there is a company that is hungry to be the next McDonald's! They don't appear to be comfortable. They don't appear to be satisfied. I don't know if all of this hunger is motivated by just simply wanting to make more money, but I have a sense that is more than jut that. It has caused me to stop today and ask myself, "What am I hungry for that is bigger than me?" The answer can't start with more students, bigger programs, better leadership...you name it! The answer has to start with HIM!

Jesus is sooooo much bigger than me!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

I wish they would expand to POLAND!!!!!!!! I have Coffee Heaven, but that is NOTHING compared to STARBUCKS!!!!! But Bong Billy's is better! :)

Jon the legal immigrant said...

"New Starbucks Opens In Rest Room Of Existing Starbucks" is a very insightful article from The Onion, way back in 1998.

Anonymous said...

Careful, Alice, students are reading. Now the whole world knows that youre feeding more than an addiction to java up at Bong Billy's. ;)

Dan Luebcke said...

Alice...Dan H. agrees!

Jong...I didn't know you had a blog.

Jen...have a great weekend.