Friday, November 25, 2005

My Black Friday Experience

What can I say? I am a sucker for a great deal and today was the day of deals all over the city! I have never participated in Black Friday so I was a little gun-shy when I woke up at 4:50 a.m.

I got in the minivan and headed to Best Buy! I had my list and I was prepared to take anyone on for what I wanted. The parking lot wasn't crowded, it was jam-packed. As I was walking in I was unsure what would actually happen.

When I got inside it was chaos. People were pulling Plasma's, carrying a handful of DVD's, etc... I was off to the DVD's first. I loaded up about 7 and then headed to the wireless router section. I am currently using it right now as I blog upstairs in my bedroom. Nice. I need the wireless router because I want the internet when I have my surgery in two weeks. A guy has to work even when he goes under the knife! I then proceeded to pay. The line was longer than the line at Magic Mountain. I started talking to a kid wearing a Colorado Christian University sweatshirt. Based on the line I figured I could probably get to know this guy so well I could get him to give me his social security number! Anyway, I realized that he wasn't standing in a paying line and that meant I wasn't either. I was wasting valuable time!

I soon found a paying line and in the process found the 20 inch T.V. I wanted for $58. I waited in line an hour. I saw one of our elders with the same T.V. I bought and Kate from 180 who was with her mom and brother and sister from Europe.

I also got to know the lady behind me who had been widowed for for three years with two teenage daughters, 16 and 18. My heart broke for her, but I was impressed with her perspective and I could tell that she was truly leaning on the strength of the Lord. Later in our conversation I found out she leads the youth ministry at her church as volunteer!

I left and went to Starbucks and swiped a breakfast sandwich from McD's!

If you have stayed with me this far, now you will get my take on this day.

"I like it...I like it a lot." Guess the movie? I kept thinking that I wasn't going to like it.

Thoughts were running through my mind about materialism and could there be any more of a better picture than this day. I am sure that for some this was a day to load up, but I also know that if you are willing to pay the price by getting up, you could say this is a great day of stewardship.

0 comments: