Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Reluctant Leader

In Leading With a Limp, Allender suggests that God loves a reluctant leader.

The experience of the reluctant leader is flight, doubt, surrender and return.

And the reason God loves a reluctant leader is that they are not easily seduced by power, pride, or ambition.

I've been HONESTLY thinking about how I am seduced by power, pride and ambition over this past week. When I first read this section I was thinking about everybody else but me. Then I read it again and found myself struggling with all three. I wrote down each word and starting making lists. It was horrifying.

One of the good things about this whole experience is that I was reluctant to evaluate!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"The experience of the reluctant leader is flight, doubt, surrender and return."
So the author is saying my continual process through this cycle (I think I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the doubt part right now) is ok. Thanks for sharing that Dan, I usually figure that I'm fairly alone in those feelings, but God has been showing me lately that there are plenty of other church leaders that struggle through reluctance. As long as God wants to keep using me, I'll keep serving. Hope you're enjoying your sabbatical!

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey Jesse, thanks for your words bro. It's hard for me to know how reluctant leadership is supposed to make me confident that I am in God's will. We'll both keep pressing on.