Friday, August 10, 2007

Sacrificing for the vision

My friend Charlie is waking up today with a smile on his face for two reasons. First, the Cubs spanked the Rockies last night at Coors Field. Second, he gets to sit at the Willow Creek Leadership Conference. He blogs on the conference every year and I love reading his thoughts. This morning as I am sipping Sumatra I read this blog and it completely stopped me in my tracks. These are Charlie's notes from Bill Hybles talk to kick off the conference. This is what stopped me,

"People who follow you are watching you to see if you’ll sacrifice for the vision. They take their clues from you as to how much they will sacrifice."
Being away from my ministry has created this tension for me. I don't feel like I am sacrificing for what is happening in our student ministry right now. I know my leaders are leading and sacrificing for our students while I am gone. I feel like no ones watching and it's weird. Hard to explain.
These are great words to all of us who are teachers, parents or youth workers. Everyone is watching us. The students. The parents. Most importantly, God is watching. If we have a vision for our sphere of influence, it better not just be for those who are following us, but for us as well. This whole thought leads me to remember what God was willing to sacrifice for His vision. Good stuff for a Friday!

0 comments: