Wednesday, January 04, 2006

GOOD TO GREAT - 1

I read this book a couple of years ago and I am reading again with our Jr. High Director, Tim. As we go through it I will post some of the things that are challenging my thinking and practice as it relates to leadership.

In Chapter 2 on Level Five leadership here are a few of things that caught my attention.

First, the first sentence of chapter one stopped me in my tracks, "Good is the enemy of great." - pg. 1

Second, the definition of a level 5 leader - One who "builds enduring greatness through a paradoxical blend of personal humility and professional will." - pg. 20

Third, the example of Darwin Smith who was the CEO of Kimberly-Clark. (BTW, if we have a boy next month this name is not on our list). In retirement, Smith stated something that I will never forget about how he was able to perform like a level five leader. "I never stopped trying to become qualified for the job." - pg. 20.

I am so tempted by being good. I am so tempted with the "been there; done that" attitude. I figured out the seasons of ministry. I figured out the programming. I have the right forms. I teach the right lessons. I have just been there.

And what is grabbing my heart is that I find myself fighting this temptation regularly in all areas of my life too.

I am a good husband. I am a good father, etc...

Here's the issue, why am I so satisfied with just being good?

I want to become more qualified to marry my wife; more qualified to parent my children; more qualified to be the pastor of student ministries in my community; more, etc... And I want to do it all, with profound humility shining a light on the greatest lover of my soul - JESUS! My bent (will) should be for the KINGDOM.

0 comments: