Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Yelling at My Sons

The older my boys get the worst is starting to come out of me when it comes to parenting, mainly, yelling at my kids. I have been aware of it over the last couple of years but when I yelled at Josiah the other night I knew I had to start working on this horrible weakness. I've read articles, been challenged by Bible verses about dealing with anger, etc... and they have prompted me to feel guilty, but I haven't changed.

I can't even remember what JT did, but I remember what I said and how he responded.

After I yelled at him he stopped what he was doing. But then he dropped his head, sprouted the pouty lip and sunk to the ground in despair. He started crying. I stood there numb. Time stood still. Tons of thoughts flooding my mind. Not enough time to share it today, but the point of this entry is to say I am grateful Josiah gave me a hug after I apologized and I am grateful that the grace of God is working in my heart and I am looking forward to growing in this area in 2006.

2 comments:

charlesdean2 said...

Bro! Keep blogging on this one! I struggle so much! My issue is not that I'm usually so angry, but that THEY CAN'T HEAR! I hate yelling, but they finally pay attention! But I don't like it. Not sure how to handle it all!

Pat R said...

I wish I had some advice for you, but I was a miserable failure in this area. Just ask my daughter. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of how awful I was. I always apologized, but I wish I had never done it in the first place. What made it worse was that my mother had done it to me and I hated it so much, I swore I would never do it to my kids. I guess we imitate what was modeled for us even when we don't like it.