Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Blog Rage

I knew it would eventually happen. I had my first bout of blog rage last night. I came across a blog that was ripping on John Piper.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! He wrote a piece entitled "Don't Waste Your Cancer." This was his personal response to the news that he had prostate cancer. The blogger had a problem with his points.

The blogger went on and on about how Piper throws Bible verses out in painful situations and probably has horrible bedside manners with people who are dying.

I just can't understand how using Scripture to answer life problems is a problem. I love what John Piper says in this piece. Suffering is a part of God's plan. It was for His perfect Son Jesus and it is for His imperfect son, Dan. I love how Paul encourages God's children in Romans 8:17 "Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

If I want the glory then I am asking for the pain. And the pain is nothing compared to what I will inherit.

Walking the road to Calvary isn't in flip-flops, wearing Oakley's, listening to the David Crowder Band on your Ipod while drinking a fruit drink out of a pineapple. It's about calculating each step, find the sovereignty of God in each breath and longing for the glory of the life that is to come. As Paul concludes in the next verse, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

When I got up with Josiah in the middle of the night I was still thinking about how I could only throw Bible verses at myself to comfort me and help my wounded heart.

0 comments: