Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Engaging the Soul of Youth Culture - 3

On to chapter 2 "There's Something Happenin' Here." There is something happening in our culture and students are ripe towards spirituality. I was glad to see Walt add some theology to the discussion of engaging the culture through "fulfilling the great commission as ambassadors of Jesus Christ" pg.44. A great resource that addresses making theology a priority is Practicing Passion by Kendra Casey Dean. He launches from Jesus' mandate to "make disciples" to give what he calls "Three Crucial Steps for the Crosscultural Missionary" - this is for the youth leader, teacher, adult or anybody who is working with teenagers in this culture.

First, let me give out an AMEN to this statement. "The church has much to learn from the world of advertising." I love reading Seth Godin for this very reason!

Here is the first of three steps:

Step 1: Know the unchanging Word. Can I get another amen? Walt is calling youth leaders to know the unchanging Word therefore it must be a priority modeled in our ministries. If we are calling our leaders to know the Word then it must be the expectation that our leaders are using their knowledge of the Word as they lead their small groups, as they meet one on one and as they teach on Sunday mornings! Not only do I want our leaders to know the unchanging Word but I want our students to know the that God's Word is immutable.

I want our student ministry to be saturated with the Word. I want Proverbs 7:2 to be the life verse for every student in our ministry, "Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. " I want the Word to be the apple of their eye. I want them to know that life really happens when it is attached to the truth of the Word. I want our students to expect to hear from God's Word every Sunday we meet. Therefore I pray Psalm 119:18 every morning before I teach on behalf of each student, "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things from your Word!" In turn, I want the wonderful things they see to cause them to BURN FOR CHRIST! On the road to Emmaus we find the disciples hearts were burning inside of them. Why? The disciples hearts burned within them when Christ opened the Scriptures to them!

Psalm 19:7-11 gives us an incredible picture of what the Word can do if it is opened when we gather with our students. It revives the soul, makes wise the simple, gives joy to the heart, gives light to the eyes, endures forever, and is altogether righteous! I thank God for David's reminder that the glory of God is found in the Word of God.

Can you imagine a framework for engaging the soul of youth culutre that has as it's priority the one and only thing that can truly revive their soul - the Bible?

Can you imgaine a small group that is engaging a group of teenagers that has it's priority the one and only thing that can give joy to their hearts - the Bible?

Can you imagine a youth leader fighting for the soul of a student that has as their priority the one and only thing that can make wise the simple - the Bible?

Can you imagine a student ministry that has as their priority the one and only thing that can give light to the eyes of the students God has blessed them to work with - the Bible?

Finally, based on what we have been challenged to do in chapter 1, can you imagine a leader who knows the unchanging Word, and has as their priority to speak God's truth into the soul of the student they are meeting with after they have listened to them?

0 comments: