Monday, February 27, 2006

Esther 2:18 - 3:15

This week I had the extreme privilege of partnering with one of my co-workers Trevor Lee on Sunday (2/26). He prepared the message for Esther 2:18-3:15 and then taught it to our high school students. I spoke with him briefly and he said things went well. Funny story - When he got up to teach one student came right down to the front and immediately went to sleep! Welcome to the club Trevor. He focused on the three characters in the story: Haman the antagonist, Mordecai the supposed protagonist and God the real protagonist of the story. If he posts a blog on his experience I will link you to it.

Here's what I learned from Trevor this week. He wasn't just filling in for me. He served me. The servant attitude is the exact opposite of the filling in for me attitude! The servant attitude is what every organization needs if they are going to grow personally and as an organization. Here's a summary of Trevor's servant attitude.

Trevor asked if he could teach. Trevor asked to teach in the series to keep the flow going to stay in step with what I have planned for the rest of the semester. Trevor met with me on Monday to talk about what I had done in the first two messages. Trevor met with me on Thursday to go through his outline. Aside - here he taught me humility. I am not the greatest teacher or Bible scholar for that matter but he sat down and walked through his outline to get my feedback. He was respecting me as the shepherd of that certain group of people and wanted me to know where he was headed. Trevor signed up for this all the while still doing his work for the Reclamation. Trevor asked me if I had any announcements for Sunday. Trevor asked about time, multimedia, etc... Trevor stopped by the hospital on Saturday to see us!

Trevor made work a joy this week. So here's what I learned. In any organization, if you believe in the people you are working with, they have proved themselves competent at what they do and you all possess a servant attitude, your organization will grow from the inside out! It's not all about you and climbing up the ladder to be successful. Rather, it's all about you and helping build the ladder for others to climb up so you all can be successful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I was the student who (almost) fell asleep during trevor's message, but pass on to him that I did enjoy his message-at least while I had my eyes open.
And Congratualations on your new daughter, Adah Jane.

Trevor said...

First of all, if Luke reads this, no hard feelings! If I was up that early in high school I would have just laid on the floor!

Second, thanks so much Dan for what you wrote. You really are a mentor for me and I don't know how I would have made it through this first year of ministry without you!

Dan Luebcke said...

Dude, would you come and lay on the floor this Sunday?

Thanks for the sharpening time at Caribou!