Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Are you running for heaven?

This weekend Pastor Nelson quoted Charles Spurgeon in the context of Mark 14:1-11. Mary had just poured out a jar of perfume that was worth over a years wages and was being rebuked by those (disciples and others) in the room.

Mark 14:6 "Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me.

Charles Spurgeon wrote, "If you consort with the common (Christian), and travel on the road to heaven so slowly that it is a question whether you are going there at all, then you will escape criticism: if you keep with those who practice the snail's march they will call you a good easy man, a right respectable person. But if you run for it, if you put out all the energy of your nature, and are determined to live at a high pitch for Christ, you will get the cold shoulder, even from many of his disciples, for you will be practically condemning their half-heartedness..."

I wonder what it looks like to "run for it" today? What would describe the "high pitch" Spurgeon is talking about? I wonder who in our midst would scorn extravagantgent love for Jesus if we spent $40k on Him? I wonder what high school students think of loving Jesus extravagantly? I wonder...I wonder...

All I know is that this week I have been encouraged to pick up my pace.

0 comments: