Saturday, March 25, 2006

What are you wrestling?

There is a great story today in USA Today about a high school senior who wrestles bears. I couldn't believe the headline - here.

Apparently this student has been doing this since he was four.

A few thoughts.

1. I can't imagine loading up the family today to take my four year old down to Clement Park for some bear wrestling. I wonder what the cost would be? Would he need cleats?

2. I can imagine this student being a part of our community and inviting me to attend his wrestling match. I can hear myself thinking, "I thought high school wrestling happened in the high school gym. Why am I at the Pepsi Center?" I think I would die watching him.

3. It makes me wonder what the headline would read for each of the students in our high school community. While I am interested in what they are wrestling with on the outside, I'm more concerned with what they're wrestling with on the inside. What's the trouble they are facing? Do they believe that there is an answer for their grief?

0 comments: