Sunday, March 12, 2006

Janet Elway is making a difference in Denver

John Elway is a living legend in Denver, but what about his ex-wife Janet? I have been wondering what has been occupying her time as we haven't heard much about her. I came across a news piece that shed some light on what Janet has been doing since her divorce. Janet's raising money for 250 kids to go to camp this summer.

Janet Elway's Camp

Three thoughts about Janet.

First, I love her attitude about acknowledging the grief that she experienced with the divorce. I think a lot many people in the public spotlight make their divorce seem like a non-issue as they move on with their life. They have this "it's not bothering me...I can handle it attitude," but Janet brings a very real and fresh perspective that it's not easy to deal with and their is pain. Especially when your ex-husband is a living legend and you still live in the city that his legend reigns.

Second, I love this comment as she was talking about her kids watching her go through the divorce, "(My kids) have been proud of me through this whole divorce," Elway said. "They've been able to see me more as adult children looking at their mom as a real person with real hurts and real pains." How many moms can say that there kids have seen them as a real person with real hurts and real pains? Sure there's a line you can cross as a parent and use your kids as a counselors, but there is something to be said for "age-appropriateness" vulnerability. Our children at different ages and appropriateness need to see us hurt and how we deal with it before they leave the home.

Third, I think there is something to be said as part of the grieving process that when we are on the "up-swing" it's time to get back in the game by giving your life away! Janet's working her tail off to get just 250 kids to a YMCA camp this summer who come from single parent homes. She's making a difference in a remarkable way...at least in a remarkable way for 250 kids!

0 comments: