Thursday, April 06, 2006

AWE in Marriage

I read an article written by Jim Burns today that got me thinking about my marriage. This June will be the completion of 10 years of marriage to Julie. Jim suggests that we should be building a sense of A.W.E. in our marriages.

A – Affection
W – Warmth
E – Encouragement

These just happen to be the three things that I feel I am the worst at! These seem simple, but often the simple things tend to elude me. What I love about working on my marriage is that it isn’t just my wife and I that benefit. Growing in my affection, warmth and encouragement are going to benefit my children and my ministry.

I am reminded of the words that were spoken to us at our wedding on that rainy day in June, “The greatest gift you’ll give your ministry is a healthy marriage.” Thanks Fritz.

2 comments:

Trevor said...

At seminary orientation I remember Don Payne saying that if you ever needed to sacrifice grades for your marriage you should. He said, "If you succeed in school and fail at your marriage then you failed."

Dan Luebcke said...

Good words from Donny Joe! I love that guy! The interesting thing about me in seminary is that I did both at times!