Friday, April 14, 2006

The Multitasking Generation - The Millennials

The Multitasking Generation by Claudia Wallis was the lead article in Time Magazine on March 27, 2006. This is a must read, save, re-read, pass it on, re-read again article!! I think this article makes a great case that American culture has never seen a generation of students like the ones that comprise The Millennials, or Generation M (media).

The article mentions the study of Elinor Ochs, director of UCLA's Center on Everyday Lives of Families. She made an interesting observation, "We also saw how difficult it was for parents to penetrate the child's universe. We have so many videotapes of parents actually backing away, retreating from kids who are absorbed by whatever they're doing."

What’s more the article sites that today 82% of kids are online by the seventh grade, according to the Pew Internet and American Life Project.

Finally, the article has input from the Kaiser Family Foundation. “The big finding of a 2005 survey of Americans ages 8 to 18 by the Kaiser Family Foundation, co-authored by Roberts, is not that kids were spending a larger chunk of time using electronic media--that was holding steady at 6.5 hours a day (could it possibly get any bigger?)--but that they were packing more media exposure into that time: 8.5 hours' worth, thanks to "media multitasking"--listening to iTunes, watching a DVD and IMing friends all at the same time.”

“Some are concerned about the disappearance of mental downtime to relax and reflect. Roberts notes Stanford students "can't go the few minutes between their 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock classes without talking on their cell phones. It seems to me that there's almost a discomfort with not being stimulated--a kind of 'I can't stand the silence.'"

The Kaiser Family Foundation Study can be found HERE!

I have had many thoughts over the past three weeks as I have been reading all of this information. Here are a few. What does a “quiet time” look like for someone in this age group? What does Bible study look like? How should large group Bible teaching change in methodology and yet maintain the authority of the Word? What changes should be made in youth ministry programs across the country? Can the discipling process Jesus modeled for us be anymore of the clarion call to youth workers and adults for how to reach this multi-focused generation? How do we get students to follow Christ alone as the Way, the Truth and the Life?

8 comments:

Trevor said...

I love media, but this kind of makes you wonder if this is another way Christians will have to become somewhat counter-cultural. Not to give up use of media, but to be disciplined enough to have some down time into which God can speak.

By the way, the word I have to type in to leave this comment is lfpookpn, thought that was a great word so I'd share it (yes, I know it's not a real word, I'm stupid but not that stupid).

Seth Hanson said...

hey, great call in going on my blog, looking at an entry, going to the link, stealing my basic idea and one-uping me...you one-upper. Great article, though, huh. Man, it is interesting.

Great application for us ministers. Thanks for your challenges. Maybe I will take them and put them on my blog.

Dan Luebcke said...

Trevor, nice word verification! I think we will have to fight for more alone time.

Seth, again you are proving that you are the center of the blogosphere with your comment...it makes me laugh. If you actually read what I wrote you'll notice I got this artice when it came out and I have been reading it for weeks!

Since March 18th you've had four posts...of course I want to steal everything from you because you have so much to say!

I love your show Seth...and you know I'm just playing with your mind. Maybe you should take some of my challenges and put them on your blog for your FIFTH post and get over the once a week average!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I am praying fervently for Beach Retreat! I loved being with you last year!

Alice Robbins said...

Dude! Can you get me a copy of this Time? We have the same problem in Poland! It is amazing how this generation has NO culture bounds in cyber space. They have their own culture within and without their physical culture!

Great stuff! Happy Easter!

Alice

Seth Hanson said...

Dan, you said "I got this artice when it came out and I have been reading it for weeks!" I am sorry that you are such a slow reader. Maybe you could give it to your son to read and he can explain it to you. It might save you some time.

Again, I love your blog. I wish that I could make mine as cool as yours. You have some great insights and some great application. You need to get your senior on board. Trevor, Tim, you, it should be an all church thing.

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey Seth! You're right, it takes awhile for the elevator to get to the top of the shaft.

Are the things this article is bringing up true in the Northwest?

Seth Hanson said...

Double True, like google maps. It is amazing. I struggle with just sitting down and talking with a student. You can tell they get antsy when I just want to talk. They are dying to get on the internet, hoping someone will call, or wondering what song they can download so that they don't have to listen to me.

I have been challenged this week, as well to get off the internet and not watch TV (we have the dish in our new place) and just spend time in silence playing with my son, or talking with my wife. I love being "tech-savvy" but to what detriment?

I thought that the article was as challenging for me and my age group as it was for the students that I am working with and their age group.

Philip Hodges said...

Dan,
Multi tasking is one thing, Oprah Swears by it, but to put it in tv terminology we are in a sub seven second society. ADD isn't an individual thing it is in the water.
Phil
Love? your Show?