Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Getting Out of the Way

I came across a great reminder from Doug Fields in his April Update about getting out of the way so others can shine. Doug admits that he doesn't have a technology bone in his body but a lot of people around him do. It's the people around him who have put together PowerPoint presentations for his talks, made videos of their events, found video clips for his talks, etc...

Doug's reminder is also a challenge. I've got tons of leaders, students and parents who are a part of our community and I have been challenged to think about whether or not I have asked them to be a part of what I do so they can shine. How much of what I do can be done by somebody else, better? Who in our community is screaming on the inside to serve but thinks I have it all covered? Have I communicated that I need help? This principle isn't just for ministry, but applies to business, parenting...you name it! Are others are around us shining? Is it our goal to make everyone around succeed?

Here's the danger for me...I want leaders, students and parents to know that my interest and care for them is based on who they are with me and not what they do for me.

I am excited to find out how many more leaders, student and parents are going to shine in the 2006-07 school year!

0 comments: