Thursday, April 20, 2006

Columbine Remembered - Kacey is MY HERO!

I remember Kacey showing up for Big Hair Bowling on December 2, 1995 and going absolutely giddy over the fact that her jr. high youth pastor had proposed to her small group leader that morning! It was the day Julie and I got engaged and I still have a picture of Kacey with BIG HAIR! She's pictured here with her sister Britney who is on the left at the Rose Parade in 2005.

Kacey was shot in the library 7 years ago today and lived. She is my hero. She made it on the front cover of USA Today on April 21, 1999. I still remember the huge security guard posted outside her hospital room. N'Sync came to visit her. Colorado Avalanche players stopped by to comfort her. Peter Forsberg gave her a signed jersey! So many things happened so fast.

When I read what transpired that day I can't believe she lived. She's married now and works as a nurse in oncology. Repeatedly she has opportunities to look patients in the eye who are facing death and tell them that she not only sympathizes with them, she empathizes with them.

I truly believe that Kacey can communicate what Corrie Ten Boom said, "There is no pit that God is not deeper still."

0 comments: