Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Hidden Qualities of a leader

The title of this article intrigued me. I wondered what the author was going to suggest the hidden qualities great leaders posses.

Here's some of his list.

1. Empathy - Do you care about the people that work with you?
2. Personal Responsibility for trouble - Do you understand the personal responsibility you and your company are in?
3. Always searching for the truth - "They look for ideas in strange places and encourage debate in search of the right decision."

The one that is grabbing my heart is how the leaders in my high school ministry think I view them. I never want my leaders to think I care for them simply based on the role they fill in my ministry. I want them to know I care about them first as a person and then what they do for our ministry. This is a tough balance because small groups have to be led. Music must be played. Meeting with students must be taking place, etc... But it must all be done in the context that I value them for who they are and not what they do for me.

1 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

Dan, you are doing it and doing it well. Never felt what you fear and never observed it. In order to have good small group leaders, you must have a leader who shepherds the others, and you have done that and are doing it. Continue to ask the questions and grow in this area. You are doing a great job!