Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Columbine Remembered - Starbucks Remembers

On Friday I walked into Starbucks and found this pound of coffee on display. It’s Starbucks Community Blend. The picture of the Columbine caught my interest so I looked on the back and saw that Starbucks is donating $3 of every pound sold to the Columbine Memorial. WOW!

I have to admit that I was shocked to see the mighty Starbucks investing in this project for our little community. I was shocked that they knew the Columbine memorial even existed, let alone that it still needs money to be completed. I proudly bought a pound and threw back an entire pot this morning. Great bean!

This got me thinking… The bigger you get the more you can’t forget to do the little things and do them well. I like the message this HUGE Company is sending to our community. Sure they could cut a check, but I wouldn’t feel a part of the process of helping build the memorial if they just did that. It’s like the charity golf tournament coming up on May 8th, or the paper Columbines you can buy at all of these stores for a buck: Qdoba Restaurants - Fat City - Dairy Queen – Paramount Cafe - Maverick Press - Front Range Bank – Wild Oats – Lighthouse Hair Salon - Ace Hardware - Guiry's - Fox and Hound - CiCi's Pizza – Del Taco - Exotic Tans - Littleton Curves – Firestone - Alterations Plus - Ray's TV - Jeffco Schools - Marie Calendar’s – The Draft Sports Bar - No Name Bar & Grill, or the memorial pins that cost $13.00 (a buck to remember the 13 who lost their lives). All of this is helping. There are multiple streams of people making this dream of a memorial a reality!

On a personal note, it has made me think about what little things I am doing to make a difference this week in my community with those who were impacted directly as a result of this tragedy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though many don't remember (especially teens today) remember that there are still people who remember Columbine and the tragedy of that day.