Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Harvesting Failures

I came across this interview "How Successful People Remain Successful" this morning and again was challenged to grow. The interview was with one of the authors of the new book Success Built to Last, which follows a book written by Jim Collins and Jerry Porras, Built to Last.

Here's part of the interview:

Q. One of the most interesting ideas in your book is that successful people harvest their failures. How do successful people stay successful?

A. The chapter we spoke about earlier focuses on people who take their wounds and turn them into wisdom. Sometimes, success can make you sloppy, just as a setback can make you [understand] more clearly what works and what doesn't. They're disciplined about looking at how things had good or bad results and seeing them as opportunities for improvement.

The phrases "harvest their failures," "people who take their wounds and turn them into wisdom," "sometimes success can make you sloppy" all stood out to me.

It's not often that I harvest a failure. I typically ignore, run away from, or just flat out act like failure never happens. I am wondering what it would look like to actually start harvesting my mistakes as part of my growth instead of making all of my focus on taking what I am good at and making it great?!

0 comments: