Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Columbine Remembered - Ravi Zacharias Remembered


I’ll never forget Ravi Zacharias contacting our Southwest Network of Youth Pastors and asking what he could do to help. There were hundreds of phone calls offering help, resources, etc…, and Ravi’s request was one of the few that we accepted. His messages have been compiled in a series titled Isaiah 52:7.

Here is Ravi’s message and it’s worth reading at least once a year - Shepherding a Soul-less Culture.

What I remember most about the whole event that Ravi did for free is how he followed through with a promise he made that day three years later. He approached us after the sessions and informed us that he would donate all the money he made off of the sales of these messages.

Three years later we got a check in the mail and apparently he sold a lot of these messages! We were all humbled. Ravi Zacharias remembered his promise and he followed through. I’ll never forget when Todd Shulda called me and told me of the great news. I rejoiced with him on the phone but when I got off I would be understating the fact that I just cried. I wept. I can’t express it in words, even now, what it meant that Ravi Zacharias was a man of his word.

What I can say is that Ravi came that day as a servant of God because he wanted “to be near our heroes whose feet have walked on rough roads and steadied the lives of people.” Ravi talked to anyone and everyone in the room who wanted and needed his time. Youth workers who lead jr. high and sr. high small groups of 5-8 students were getting one on one time with Ravi Zacharias! They were pouring their hearts out to them through tears as they were searching for something to take back to the group of students they were shepherding.

Ravi didn’t come selling himself, as we felt many people “who wanted to help us did.” Rather he came as a servant of the God who watched the scene unfold in that day, 3.8 miles from our church, who promises one day He will make all things NEW!

2 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

Amen Brother! I will never forget his kindness and words to me! It was a blessing during a time of sorrow and confussion. Thanks for reminding me!

Alice

Dan Luebcke said...

Alice, thanks for all you did that day, that week, the next months and even in the next few years. I was proud to walk alongside of you as you walked near with so many of our girls!