Saturday, May 19, 2007

Catching up with an former prof

Last night our church hosted the memorial service for Dr. Steve Young. He attended our church for years and was the director of the leadership program at Denver Seminary. After the service everyone was hanging out in our welcome center eating food, drinking punch and coffee and catching up. I was standing with one of my high school leaders when a heard a voice behind me saying, "How's that Ugaritic study coming?" I turned around to find Dr. Rick Hess smiling at me. You have to love that hello from the OT prof! Stacy graciously stepped away and gave me some time to hang out with him. It was great to catch up. I started talking about my kids and their OT names and he gave me a short lesson on each. It was awesome! It was like using Google on a human being! I said their names and got information within seconds!

He is going on sabbatical while I will be on sabbatical. He's writing a commentary on Kings and I am hoping to write a commentary on Numbers! :) Yeah right! I thanked him over and over for giving me a passion for the Old Testament. I owe a lot to him and Dr. Danny Carroll for their leadership in this department. Thanks men. As we closed our time I was thinking that I could co-write my first book with Dr. Rick Hess while we are both on sabbatical, Transformational Student Ministry - How Hebrew and Ugaritic language study will transform you and your students.

0 comments: