Thursday, May 24, 2007

Educating not legislating

This is an insightful interview from Guy Kawasaki on teens being totally wired. He was interviewed by Anastasia Goodstein from YPulse.

Question: Is banning MySpace and other social networks by schools a smart thing?
Answer: I advocate educating as opposed to legislating.

Guy's answer really struck a cord with me as it relates to parenting and serving in student ministry. I like the thought of responding as much as possible to situations with the mindset of educating rather than legislating. Sure, there are going to be times when legislation is needed, but how often? How would our approach to parenting and student ministry change if we took a more "educating" approach than a "legislating" approach? If we want our kids and students to own their faith, which approach will work better?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's Anastasia -- Guy actually interviewed me...not the other way around ;-) Thanks for posting about it though!

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey, sorry about that Anastasia! I guess I better have at least one cup of coffee in me before I post next time :)!

It makes sense that Guy would want your take! Keep up the good work on your blog. It's been very helpful for me to read as I work with students in Littleton, CO.