Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dog Bones, suckers and a sticker

On Tuesday, I pulled up to one of the open lanes at one of the banks I use to take some cash out of my lucrative student ministry pastor paycheck. It was the 15th of the month! After the lady behind the glass processed my request she asked me, "Sir, is there anything else I can do for you?" I replied, "Yes, my son Josiah would LOVE a sucker!" She was quick to jump in before I could finish my sentence, "We don't give away suckers anymore." I screamed (not kidding), "You've got to be kidding me!" From the back I hear Josiah make a comment about what he saw in the window, "Ugh, dog bones...I don't want a dog bone." My eyes were frantically searching for...dog bones...and sure enough, there was a huge container of them where the suckers should of been. WHAT? My bank now has dog bones for dogs coming through the drive through but not my kids! How can a bank not give away suckers? This is almost "non-American!" The lady threw in a heart sticker for Josiah and when he got home he threw it in the trash.

I wonder how many people attend church on Sunday, pulling up with expectations that don't get met, and then go home and trash their experience. There is something to be said for tradition and being a part of a story today that helped shaped us in the past.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Impressive! You somehow managed to relate dog bones and suckers to the Church of Christ.

You have a valid point, but something that has been pointed out many times in our church is that "it's not about us."

So when is it about our expectations and our experience and when is it not?

Dan Luebcke said...

Daveo,

Are there certain things that should be present every week? Maybe you've started our list...

Anonymous said...

Wow! You don't have to spiritualize everything Cheetoh!

Dan Luebcke said...

Wait until the NFL season kicks off! :)